JERUSALEM -- Israel has appointed a top general to oversee a war against Iran, prompting speculation that it is preparing for possible military action against Tehran's nuclear program.via James Lewis at the American Thinker, who adds:
Maj. Gen. Elyezer Shkedy, Israel's air force chief, will be overall commander for the "Iran front," military sources told the London Sunday Telegraph.
News of the appointment comes just days before a United Nations deadline expires for Iran to give up its nuclear program, which Western governments fear will be used to produce atomic weapons. Despite Iran's offer last week to engage in "serious talks" on the matter, Israel fears even more than other Western nations that the offer is simply to buy time for Tehran to secure all the technology it needs to build the bomb.
General Shkedy is the son of Holocaust survivors, and keeps a picture over his desk of an IAF jet flying over Auschwitz.
This is Israel’s answer to Ahmadinejad.
Hezbollah chief Sheikh Hassan Nasrallah has said he would not have ordered the capture of two Israeli soldiers if he had known it would lead to such a war.
"Had we known that the kidnapping of the soldiers would have led to this, we would definitely not have done it," he said in an interview on Lebanese TV.
He added that neither side was "heading towards a second round" of fighting.
More than 1,000 Lebanese died in the 34-day conflict which left much of southern Lebanon in ruins.
The Israeli offensive began after two Israeli soldiers were seized during a cross border raid by Hezbollah militants on 12 July.
Ultra-leftist Israeli journalist and political figure Yossi Sarid was invited several months ago by the Norwegian foreign ministry to attend and address a conference on religious and cultural tolerance in Bali, Indonesia. However, when the Indonesian co-sponsors and national hosts discovered that an Israeli was on the guest list, Sarid was promptly uninvited.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a conference on tolerance when the invitation stage is marred by intolerance.
(Side note: It is also telling that the weak Norwegian - ie. European - response was not to demand that Indonesia soften its stance, but rather to offer Sarid Norwegian citizenship in order to bypass the boycott. Europe’s fear of and capitulation to Islam is by no means confined to the continent.)
GAZA (Reuters) - Two kidnapped Fox journalists appeared on a new videotape released by their captors on Sunday in the Gaza Strip, in which the reporters said they had converted to Islam, the Fox News Channel said.UPDATE 2:35 AM: floranista says that Fox News just announced their release. Seeking confirmation...Confirmed.
Both Fox correspondent Steve Centanni, a 60-year-old American, and New Zealand-born cameraman Olaf Wiig, 36, appeared to be in good health. They were seized on August 14.