I would have expected nothing less from her, since I've been on the receiving end of Guerin's hatred toward the Jewish State myself. About six years ago, while wandering through the Old City of Jerusalem with a friend, I chanced upon Guerin preparing a broadcast. After quietly standing and watching Guerin and her crew for about one minute, we heard her cameraman ask her: "shall we start?" To which she replied, "not till these troublemakers leave."
I then asked her in English "who are you calling troublemakers? We've only been here watching for a minute and haven't said a word." She hesitated, acting somewhat shocked that we heard the exchange, perhaps thinking us to be Israelis and not fluent English speakers, and then dismissively replied, "well you people are all the same." I turned and left, and filed a complaint with the BBC. The BBC replied with some standard e-mail saying that they couldn't verify my account and therefore could take no action.
"The alarming silence of the world indicates that the West has not yet understood that what is taking place is an attack on Western values and civilization," said Yad Vashem Chairman Avner Shalev. "History has demonstrated that silence in the face of evil statements begets evil actions," he added.I don't know why his comments were characterized as "unusually harsh", I think they're pretty mild. I do agree that the West has not understood the threat we're under; I also believe that the West is not taking Iran's threats seriously and, once again, we'll wait a little too long and catch on a little too late. We have many among us to thank for that, revisionists, faux-liberals, people blind and deaf to history, but also Western leaders, like Jimmy Carter who believes that pre-emptive wars are wrong and that terror provides opportunities for negotiation.
His unusually harsh comments bemoaning the passivity of most of the world's leaders to the looming Iranian threat came one day after Iran launched an exhibition of Holocaust cartoons in Teheran.
Supporters of Mexico's left-wing presidential candidate have pledged to place his rival "under siege" if he is declared winner of the disputed poll.
A spokesman for Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador's party said Felipe Calderon would not be able to operate outside his office if he was made president.
Mr Lopez Obrador disputes the official results which give a narrow victory to his rival and wants a full recount.
A partial recount has been completed, but the results are not yet known.
Election officials have until 6 September to declare a president-elect or annul the election.
If declared the victor, Mr Calderon "will be a president under siege... he will not be able to operate outside his office", said Gerardo Fernandez, of the left-wing Democratic Revolution Party (PRD).
Protesters have also pledged to disrupt outgoing President Vicente Fox's last state-of-the-nation address on 1 September. The day "will not be a picnic", Mr Fernandez said.
Mr Lopez Obrador's supporters clashed with police outside the Congress building on Tuesday, for the first time since they began camping out in Mexico City in protest at the election result.
At least eight people were injured in the scuffles which only lasted a few minutes but saw police use batons and teargas to break up the crowd.
Federal police have denied accusations that they were heavy-handed.
Mr Lopez Obrador has alleged fraud after losing by some 240,000 votes, and has called for a full recount of the 41 million votes cast in the 2 July poll.
Earlier this week, Mr Calderon - the candidate of President Fox's National Action Party - said he was confident the court-imposed recount of votes from 9% of polling centres would confirm his win.
Mr Fox has said he will take all the necessary actions to ensure that whoever is declared president-elect in September is allowed to assume power.